Sunday, October 4, 2009

Calabacita & Lima Bean Bake

Another one from my recent archives I wanted to share.
When I made this even my super picky best friend enjoyed it!

I added cooked frozen shrimp when I put this together, but to be honest they didn't add much. I don't usually add those to cooked dishes, except fried rice on occasion, as the flavor seems to be lost. I like them cold by themselves, or in shrimp & egg salad. If I were using fresh shrimp I cooked? Hells yeah.

Easily vegetarian, easily adaptable.

Calabacita & Lima Bean Bake

3 med calabacita squash, (you could use zucchini or summer squash)
1/2 lb frozen small green lima beans, steamed in microwave 7 min (I adore those Ziploc steamer bags)
1 tb real bacon crumbles (Superfluous? Possibly, but it did add just a bit of smokiness)
1 tb smart balance
1 tb olive oil
1/2 lb 71/90 ct pre-cooked frozen peeled shrimp, thawed (fresh sauteed would be awesome)
1/4 c lf shredded mozzarella
1/4 c shredded parm
2tb lf feta crumbles (just finished off what I had left)

Saute the squash in olive oil & smart balance for a little bit, till softened. Layer in a casserole dish. Add lima beans, shrimp, bacon crumbles, then cheese.
Bake about 20 minutes at 350. Put under broiler for few minutes & brown the cheese. Mmmmm.

I served this with a simple ceasar style salad, just romaine & dressing.

No comments:

Post a Comment