Friday, October 2, 2009

Oatmeal Muffins

I just made some oatmeal muffins & they are really good.
I based this on the wholesome oat muffin recipe from the orange South Beach cookbook, by way of the internet.

I made some changes from the original recipe, cause I do that, and also I do not usually use artificial sweeteners, which this called for originally.
Here's my spin on the muffin recipe, and it's given me a good base to work from.
I plan to try these with pumpkin & dried fruit (apples? cranberries?) next.


Basic Oat Muffins


3/4 cup
1 cup 1% milk
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup canola oil
1 egg, beaten
1/3 cup, scant, agave nectar

Preheat the oven to 425°F. Coat a 12-cup nonstick muffin pan with cooking spray or line with paper baking cups.

In a small bowl, combine 3⁄4 cup of the oats and milk. Let soak for 30 minutes.

In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, salt.

In a large bowl, stir together the oil, egg, agave nectar, until well blended. Stir in the oat mixture. Stir in the flour mixture until just combined. Do not overmix.

Divide the batter evenly among the prepared muffin cups, filling them about two-thirds full. Bake for 11 to 15 minutes, or until a wooden pick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean. Cool on a rack for 5 minutes.

Remove to the rack to cool completely.

No comments:

Post a Comment